Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Life with pets


People who have kept pets would certainly agree with me that life gets fuller after having pets at home. There are people who fancy animals in the zoo and recoil at the sight of pets , especially dogs. I witness so many neighbours in my society, who stick against the wall of the elevator on sighting my dog Valley in the lift. Yet there are some who long to meet and greet Valley.We had a 4 and a half yr old labrador who passed away in October 2007, leaving a void in our life.I did not know till then that she had such a large fan following in my society and friends.For days after her death we had visitors at home who came for condolence and paying homage to her.For days together my intercom and phone would ring and there would be some neighbour showing their regret at Valley's demise. My maids mourned her death for so many days, and as we found out that we were not alone in our grief. Small children refused their meals, remained subdued for days together on hearing about Valley. All his made me wonder what had Valley done to gain this reputation. In a city like Delhi, where nobody has the time to mourn the death of relatives, where people do not find time to condole the death of neighbours, Valley had so many admirers.All this is no fabrication of my imagination, this is a pure ansd simple narration of my heart touching experience.



Answer is not that simple, yet quite easy . She had touched other people's lives in various ways ever since she was a puppy. Very well behaved, she never jumped on others like normal dogs, neither did she bark and disturb the neighbours. She wouldn't mind climbing five floors in case the elevator was full or its occupants were scared of her. She had a definite dignified gait. She wasn't greedy in the least,always waited for food to be put in her bowl. She had such beautiful expressive eyes, that befriended even those who did not like pets.Her brown eyes in her heavyset face would speak volumes about her persona.


And when she fell ill, must say, she fought bravely with her illness. Not refusing once to visit the Vet, getting injected twice a day, getting intravenous treatment for half an hour twice a day ,she bore it all too bravely.Even now my eyes well up with tears, when I remember her face.It is too sad that she had to leave us like this. But soon after we got ourselves a new pet, junior Valley, who resembles Valley only in looks and is every bit a naughty brat.Now she has made my life busier than before.



The reason why I am writing this blog is that we brought our old Valley home on 14th feb,2003, we got it as a Valentine Day's gift from my husband Rakesh( hence the name Valentine, Valley for short). Tomorrow is Valentine's day and we remember her with our hearts, full of her memories. It is for sure that she has become a star in the heaven and has attained more popularity there. Afterall God also needs stress busters like Valley.

6 comments:

ghughutibasuti said...

hi.i am here since u visited my blog and left ur blog url.thanks for visiting me. i am so glad i am here at ur site and reading abt ur Valley and seeing her pic.
we r a family of dog lovers too. we have had 3 dogs. one of them was a labrador named Tashi.life is pretty lonely without the dogs. i too plan to write abt our dogs one day.
more later.
miredmirage

Deepakwrites said...

Hi Di..
this is a wonderful article that has well crafted emotions, and thoughts, a sure delight to read. I had spent time at your place and have seen every bit of valley. I can understand what you must have gone through amisdt all this.

Keep writing this sure is a good place to vent all the thoughts out without worrying about what people might think of. It surely helps.
Regards
Tunnu

दिनेशराय द्विवेदी said...

Only today I came to know about your blog. Nitin told me. I read both the posts both are wonderfull.You expressed your views in the best possible way. Go on writing.
Please delit the word verification from the comment window.

mehek said...

cool post,i hv two dogs to,one labrador one doberman,luv ur valeys pic,cute one.

one thing am to with dinesh ji,pl remove that word verification,it gives difficulty in putting comments on ur blog,sorry if i spoke more,tk cr

Nitin Bagla said...

We never had any pets at our home (except cows and buffaloes till some years ago), but the underlying essence is that we, as human being, should be most sensitive to other creatures as well as fellow human beings(ref, your previous posts)

Keep writing...

Anonymous said...

A touching tribute ...but then nothing is too good for dear Valley.I will always remember her with a lot of love.And yes, the one thing that stays in our minds forever is her eyes ... those beautiful,large,innocent eyes.I feel honoured for knowing her up close ...and seeing her fight illness and pain with so much dignity.I won't call her a pet ...why ..when she understood us like any other person ...or maybe better.She was part of the family.